About Me

Monday 14 October 2013

Inspiration and thank you.

I have had such Inspiration since joining the blogging world especially from Frugal in Suffolk and Frugal in Norfolk. It has made such a diffrence to the way I shop and feed my family. I knew what I should be doing and what I wanted to do but it didn't quite happen due to time and generally not being organised. Since reading other peoples blogs which is a great joy to do with a cup of tea and just taking five minutes out I have completely changed the way I shop and do things in general. Much to Mr M delight.

So today I have been making chicken pies made from yesterday's leftover roast chicken which normally would have been put in the fridge and probably thrown out a few days later. These pies are very basic chicken in a white sauce which will come in handy for Mr M dinner in the evening when he doesn't like or eat what myself and the children have had. Normally I would have popped to the shop and bought a pie full of rubbish which would have cost a good couple of pounds or more. 

I have also been baking for lunch boxes which has stopped me impulse buying during the week which in turn has saved us quite a bit of money. I now make sure I plan all our meals and only shop when I need to. 

So it's really a big thank you to all the inspirational blogs that I read. 


4 comments:

  1. blogs are inspirational, I love finding new ideas or suggestions from them.
    Glad you are enjoying blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to know that you are reading, enjoying and finding useful things. Carry on Blogging! I only started in April but have found it great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get loads of inspiration too, including from the Frugals in Norfolk and Suffolk. It's a really daunting thing to start being frugal when you haven't had to be before, but it's something to do a bit at a time, building your confidence. Now you have made a chicken pie, can I make a few suggestions? If you fry some onion, then add a couple of tablespoons of flour, fry and mix for a minute, then slowly add half a pint of milk, stirring all the time. When it is thick, season it with pepper. Let it cool and if it's very stiff, stir in a little more milk, then add your cooked chicken and assemble your pie. Or, do as above but add a little chopped bacon after the onion has softened a bit, (cooking bacon is about 80p-£1 for 500g in asda or sainsburys; it will be all odd shapes and you will maybe want to go through it and cut out the fat, but then you can use or freeze the good bits). At the end you could also cook in some mushrooms. This will add a lot of flavour and make your chicken go further. If that's a bit confusing: fry onion, (add and fry bacon), (add and fry mushrooms), add flour, then milk, cool, add cold chicken., assemble pie, bake or freeze with pastry uncooked. Unless your family hates bacon, they will swoon when they taste your pie! If you can make a chicken pie it will be easy to do a slightly more complicated version. I generally use 4oz bacon to 8oz chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make Chicken pie with the meat from half a Chicken, a tin of mushrooms, a good white sauce, and a mashed potato topping. A bit more care goes into it than just that, but it's very good!

    ReplyDelete