About Me

Friday 25 July 2014

A bumper harvest

So life is about learning things and my first year of having an allotment is constantly about learning things my latest lesson is I do not need to plant 6 courgette plants especially when it is only me that eats them!

Yes I am surrounded by courgettes and marrows planting 6 plants at the time felt like a good idea they will take up space when I'm not sure what to grow well I didn't expect to have 6 very well producing plants. So my neighbours have been given a bag of courgettes each I hope they like them. I'm not allowed to sell them it's in the contract we sign when taking on a plot many people have said they would never know I'm sure there will be somebody that would report me.

I have also been harvesting potatoes by the bucket load and most plants when dug up have been invaded by ants but the potatoes seem to be fine. I have lots of dwarf beans from my 8 plants and plenty of runners and raspberries. My pumpkins and squash plants are doing well along with the sweetcorn and my greens are growing nicely protected in their little cage.

I would like to say I'm a natural and completely green fingered by I'm sure it's just pure luck I know for one thing in my little note book of ideas for next year I will only plant a couple of courgette plants. It was far to hot to spend much time on the plot today so I will pop back later as the edges need tidying up a bit.

What has been most peoples gardening disasters when growing veg?

2 comments:

  1. Well done on your successes , 999 ways to eat courgettes? maybe you could hide them in things so no one else in the family knows. Courgette cake for the cricket?
    As for failures ...... there is always something every year, but then you forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are always loads of courgettes in the "Free Stuff" area of our allotment site, and some of them are HUGE! I usually end up with too many as well, you'd think I'd learn... Something I never have much success with is carrots. They just don't seem to germinate very well. I have one solitary carrot at the allotment at the moment.

    ReplyDelete