About Me

Tuesday 1 October 2013

Blackberrying

I love autumn so much especially going blackberry picking. It seems this year everyone has had the same idea and most hedges now seem bare. However on Sunday we found a spot along a field that nobody has found. There were hedgerows full of blackberries, elderberries, rosehips and sloes. Armed with a basket and walking stick as the best ones always seem to be high up we went to fill up with big juicy blackberries.  This is something I always did as little girl and love my children to experience the same things I did.






We were out side for a good 45 minutes getting pricked by thorns our hands were dyed purple with little Ms lips and top showing signs of one in the basket two in the mouthhigh ones. We picked plenty of berries enough for ourselves and in-laws along with some for our elderly neighbours.  I then froze my share ready to use for another day and in due course.





As I have some cooking apples to use up, tonight we will have apple and blackberry crumble. As little miss is allergic to diary and also has coeliac disease here is my take which all the family can enjoy as we all try to eat the same wherever possible otherwise I find I'm cooking lots of different meals which can be expensive.

Gluten and Dairy Free Apple Crumble

Peel and core and chop 5 Bramley cooking Apples and cook with 2tbsp of water and a little brown sugar.

To make the crumble I use
 8oz of Gluten free plain flour you can use rice flour also along with
 3oz dairy free spread (I use pure sunflower spread I have tried them all and this one has the nicest taste).
4oz soft brown sugar
2tsp cinnamon

Mix together until you have something that looks like fine bread crumbs

I tend to use the blackberries straight from the freezer as they tend to hold their shape better.
Place the fruit in a oven proof dish and sprinkle the crumble mixture on top and cook in the oven at 180c for about 30 minutes. This crumble will look a lot paler than the normal version but still tastes just as good.

We eat ours with custard,ice cream or cream


1 comment:

  1. Life is much the same over here. Blackberry and Apple crumble tonight.

    ReplyDelete