About Me

Wednesday 2 October 2013

The sniffles

It was bound to happen the cold that's been going around our house has now caught up with me. Though unlike Mr M or little miss or little m who all came down with it at the weekend. I can't just curl up on the sofa watch copius amounts of movies and wait till I get better with someone bringing me food and water whenever it's needed. No being a mum you just have to get on with it.  So armed with tissues and good ole honey, ginger and lemon I carry on albeit at a slightly slower pace. 

The one thing that really helps when this happens is homemade chicken soup. There is nothing quite like it. 

Thankfully yesterday we had roast chicken so last night I boiled up the carcass as I'm really trying not to waste anything especially food  with a couple of onions, carrots, celery and a handful of herbs from the garden.  Turning the heat down to simmer for a couple of hours. Before heading to bed I drained the clear stock and left to cool. Once cool you are left with a clear jelly that soon melts when heated. Though I always take the white fat layer off first.

To make the soup I chop and dice 1 white onion, 2 carrots 2 sticks of celery and slowly soften in the pan with a little olive oil. I then add 3 ladle fulls of the chicken stock and gently heat. Adding a little thyme from the garden and 1/2 a chilli just for a kick. 

You can eat it like this but today I blended it to create a smooth flavoursome  soup.  I have made enough for lunch today, tomorrow and some to put in the freezer.  So hopefully I will be back up to speed in no time.




6 comments:

  1. Hello! I've just found your blog, and it looks great! I'm in the South East, and I know Suffolk a little from holidays. Your soup sounds very tasty; I hope it does the trick and you feel better soon. Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to know someone who'd eat half a roast chicken, then throw the rest in the bin. It almost made me want to strangle her! Nowt get thrown away here, and chicken stock is the BEST.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're soon feeling better, there's nothing like a steaming mug of homemade chicken soup to help fill you full of vitamins and drive those nasty germs away.

    But I better not let my chickens hear me saying that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. been busy this week, and I've only just had the chance to do some blog visits.
    Sorry you have the sniffles in your house. I had to keep my girl home last week for one day, when she was suddenly sick overnight at the weekend. School. Hotbed for germs and illness. Luckily it cleared off as quickly as it started.
    No, mums have NO chance to rest & get better! :O(

    Read back on your blog posts. God I'm annoyed.
    How dare anyone be judgemental about you, your lifestyle, your challenge to yourself.
    Please remember this. It is YOUR blog. That's pretty much it really. YOUR blog. You don't have to explain anything, certainly not your lifestyle and what you & your husband have decided.

    I'm like you, I'm and old fashioned SAHM, and the husband & I have our own system regarding finances. No one else's business and it's what works for us. Makes me so annoyed when people are so judgemental.
    Over the years I've had lots of nasty comments. No idea why people do that.

    I hope you get your mixer. I've got a KitchenAid, and yes they are pricey, but they work well and last for years. It's worth spending a bit more on something that's going to last years and years and years.

    Got to scoot. Enjoy the rest of the week :O)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I am looking at kitchen aid I will get one as I do a lot of baking and use it all the time. There is so much going around at the moment just hope the dreaded sickness escapes us ( touch wood) I have got past the judgemental comments and just deleted them. I hope you have a good rest of the week also and a very good weekend. X

      Delete
  5. I am glad that you have put the unnecessary judgemental comments behind you, and have not allowed them to spoil your new blogging experience. There are plenty of lovely bloggers around who can actually make your day with the generous comments they make. You have got it exactly right when you press delete and then forget.

    ReplyDelete