About Me

Thursday 10 October 2013

Wet and wild

Autumn seems to have blown straight in with wind and  heavy showers in Suffolk. The trees are shedding their leaves very quickly so once the wind dies down I will be outside raking them up and putting into the compost heap. In between showers I did manage to get out for a good walk and one thing I have learnt from reading other inspiring blogs  is to always take a bag and some change. Which I'm glad I did today as there are still so many blackberries on the hedgerows and a couple of my routes I pass some amazing vegetable gardens and this time of the year they are selling any excess. However due to the winds instead of selling they were giving windfall apples away due to being bruised so I picked up a couple of bags and used to make a lovely  apple and blackberry crumble and made enough to have one in the freezer for another day. 


Today was little princesses birthday she is now nine as having been born five weeks early suffering serious jaundice and having had meningitis at four weeks there were times I didn't think she would get to one let alone nine. We were lucky that is was caught very very early and after a couple of weeks stay in hospital we were given the all clear with no side effects. However she does have a serious food allergies to dairy and eggs and also has coeliac disease so birthday cakes can be a challenge. I havea recipie   I use time and time again the cakes don't look show stopping and I certainly wouldn't win star baker but the main thing to me is my little girl doesn't miss out on a cake on her special day. 

4 comments:

  1. Birthday wishes to your little girl who's not so little anymore :-) The cake looks lovely, how did you do the butterflies? And the crumble is mouth watering. I'm off for a walk in a few minutes and may pick some berries along the way too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your daughter had a lovely birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that crumble looks gorgeous.

    Hope your daughter had a good day, wow, you had a lot of worry when she was teeny.

    That cakes looks scrummy too.

    Enjoy your weekend :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look some good cakes! Nothing beats a homemade blackberry and apple crumble on an autumn day! Hope your girl had a good day!

    ReplyDelete