About Me

Wednesday 20 November 2013

Walk, Germans and Beavers

What awful weather we had this morning, I decided to put of my walk till a little later and use the time to research an article I'm writing about Shingle Street. This isolated place is where the sea meets the river mouth, tides are precarious and certainly not a place to go for a leisurely dip not that you would want to in this weather with a very cold North Sea and bitterly easterly winds but it is a great place for a walk. 

The bit that interests me is the evacuation in 1940 and the bodies of 4 German Airman who were washed up on the shore. Lots of rumours and speculation surrounds this place many says it was used to test Chemical bombs others says they set fire to the sea to stop us being invaded but nothing has been confirmed so I will be going to the library to see what other secrets I can find.

It finally stopped raining so out for a brisk and cold walk around the country roads that surround me. There was plenty of water lying around but it was good to see the sun shine. 

This evening was Beavers where entertaining 22 boys can be a challenge but the key is being organised and keeping them entertain tonight was bingo on the theme of deadly 60 and learning about  these beasts, next week is about owl pellets and bones. That will definitely  jeep them amused. 


2 comments:

  1. I think we have a book about Shingle Street Mystery somewhere, I'll look for it. I think the fire thing sounds likely - totally against the |Geneva convention so seriously Hushed Up'
    Beavers is a bit like planning a Birthday party every week! Very Hard Work. I enjoyed Cubs much more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get a few requests about Shingle a Street when recommending places to stay. I'm quite intrigued about it apparently documents can't be accessed till 2021. Thank you regarding the book. I'm loving beavers yesterday was a challenging one

    ReplyDelete