About Me

Thursday 19 December 2013

Is it so bad to be a stay at home mum?

I'm a stay at home mum (STAHM) and feel very fortunate to be in this position that I can be there for the children. I don't have to book time off for school plays or worry what the boss will say if one of them is ill and I need to stay at home. Mr M works long hours commuting from Suffolk to London everyday except weekends which allows us to live the way we do contrary to belief we are not rolling in it and some months finances are very tight but we have made cut backs to allow me to stay at home. Yes I could get a job I have worked in accounts and event management which I enjoyed and thought I was good at it well no one ever complained. 

 By why am I judged so much why do people think I'm not interesting because I don't go out to work I have my own business which is a website that I work on between school hours recommending holidays in Suffolk and promoting Suffolk it's a popular site but not very profitable it's still early days but still people think I don't do anything I sit at home drinking coffee. I don't!

I want to be there for the children but it does seem what ever you do you can not win if I worked full time you would have people saying things like "those poor children shipped of to the childminders" "parents are never home". Why do people feel they have to judge if I needed to work so we could live I would but at the moment I'm happy being a mum and knowing I'm always there for them.  I don't judge other people so please don't judge me. 

3 comments:

  1. If you think someone is judging you just ignore them and do your own thing. I always say people are just jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't ever let other peoples judgements get in the way of what YOU know is best for you and your family.

    You know yourself what is best - if anyone judges you stand up for yourself and say exactly that!!

    I stayed at home with my boys until the youngest was at school, although I yearned to work, I had sat down and worked out the finances and we would have been slightly worse off if I had gone out to work taking travel, clothing, childcare etc into consideration, so I relaxed and enjoyed my time at home with the boys.

    By being a STAHM you are taking a huge burden of worry off your husbands shoulders and enabling him to work the long hours he does and commute the distance. That you get to spend each weekend as quality family time would not happen if you were a stressed out career Mum and the pair of you were dashing around catching up with household jobs.

    You will know when the time is right for you to return to work or to expand your current internet business, until then tell anyone who thinks they have the right to judge you to 'b*gger off'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be proud of what you have chosen to do at the moment! Everyone is free to choose to do what they think is best for them. In Early Years it all about "parental choice" and so it should be! Enjoy your time at home with the children, they will be all grown up before you know it!

    ReplyDelete