About Me

Thursday 17 April 2014

A little help.


After a morning of cutting the lawn at home washing down windows, doors and frames sweeping paths and patios. It was off to the allotment I go to try and tackle the rest of the weeds. I managed to do quite a bit more but still have a bit to go I pulled up old carrots that had carrot root fly and were inedible and old beet root that was rotten also.  

This is what half my plot was like. 

After digging up the weeds it is a clay soil full of Flint,Stones and glass from many years ago. The site was once used for breaking up Flint to build the Church and Castle and then become a victorian dumping ground that housed pigs. One plot owner I got chatting to said he has found a musket ball a buckle of a soilders uniform and an old clay pipe. (I still might find those coins then). 

So after much digging and removing the weeds including roots it looks like this. 

Lots of hard lumps that need breaking down, another very kind plot owner who has a rotivator came and went over the bit I have dug. Having read a couple of books I know people are split about using a rotivator but as I had removed the weeds I didn't mind and I wasn't going to turn down any help. 

My soil now looks like this. 



Much better now I need a little rain which is forecast on Sunday to help with the small bit left to do which I might give it a go tomorrow but as Cricket season is now upon us I need to do some baking for the teas. I'm planning on doing chocolate brownies, lemon drizzle and carrot cake. 

Slowly getting there. My plot finishes at the artichokes. You can just see the last bit left to weed. 

1 comment: