About Me

Wednesday 16 April 2014

Tears and tantrums (almost)

After doing the household chores two loads of laundry, washing the kitchen floor and wiping down the kitchen cupboard doors and downstairs doors. I couldn't do anything else as Mr M was in bed having been sent home from work yesterday so he must be bad I'm not sure if he would have made the commute into the city today after a rough night with fever and shakes. 

The children went to the beach with the grandparents after lunch so I headed down to my allotment which is only a ten minute walk from the house but I'm afraid to say I took the car as I had lots of tools to take and couldn't carry everything. 

I spent three solid hours and it was tough. I was the only one there today and spent the whole time digging out the weeds, there were times I wanted to fall on my knees and cry I just felt like I was getting no where some weeds had very deep roots the ground was hard and I had large patches of grass that seemed to be welding the ground together. But I did make progress and now have cleared at least half the plot with another small section still covered in weeds. The other half looks to have been dug recently and the weeds are no where near as bad. 

No only did I have weeds growing I'm sure I could have rebuilt the Castle with the amount of stones and flint in my plot, I was half expecting time team to turn up and start digging as I unearthed broken crockery, glass and a manner of other unrecognisable pottery though unfortunately no undiscovered medieval coins worth millions!

Despite almost having tears or throwing a teenager tantrum and moments of what am I doing. I knew it wouldn't be easily to start with and allotments require hard work and dedication but the end product hopefully of having produce I have grown with the family is going to be worthwhile. I know just a few more hard days digging it's then just keeping on top as I will never let the weeds grow to the state they are now. 

This is what my patch looks like now having cut the raspberries back that I inherited and removing the leeks which were very woody or rotten I'm now starting to feel like it's my own patch now.




No comments:

Post a Comment