About Me

Thursday 10 April 2014

I have an allotment

After being told I missed out on an allotment this year to receive a call to say one is available would I like it. I said yes straight away before really thinking what have I let myself in for. Have I time can I fit it in you know what I'm not sure but I'm going to give it a go. Mr M has no enthusiasmto help he doesn't have a green fingered bone in his body, but the children are very excited. Having not seen the plot I was a bit unsure you never know what it's going to be like. The previous owners have looked after it well there is still quite a bit of digging before any planting can commence but it hasn't been neglected Luckily it's only half a plot  it's still plenty big enough for me with  spectacular views over the Castle and Mere and the college and only a stones throw from the water tap, It's a perfect tranquil place to go. There seems to be a real community and pride in the plots and on our visit tonight it seems there will be plenty of people on hand to offer advice whether needed or not. 

So here comes the questions I have rhubarb on the plot can I eat it as it's looks like it has gone to seed and how do I trim it back? 


Are these raspberries? 


I take it these are onions? 
 


But look what I found growing amongst the weeds

 An asparagus stalk all on its lonesome I didn't have the heart to cut it.

Tomorrow we are going in the afternoon with our tools to start digging but first I must do a bit of research and plan what to grow. I think this blog will naturally gravitate towards one Suffolk Girls attempt to grow her own veg I'm sure it will be filled with lots of trials and tribulations. 

Till tomorrow 


3 comments:

  1. So exciting for you!
    Answers to questions
    Cut off the stalks that have the seed heads on as low as you can. Then you can pull any rhubarb stalks to eat it will be fine. Pull gently but firmly. Looks as if this is not a new plant, so you can keep pulling to eat for a good while. Always cut the seed stalks but pull the edible stalks.

    Yes they look like raspberries, summer fruiting I reckon, water them, should fruit late june or july. Then you cut off the fruited canes in the autumn leaving new growth thats come up for next year. You'll prob need to net them.

    No not onions but the tail end of leeks, they will run to seed soon so eat any quick before they get a hard bit in the middle. Then pull them up and compost.

    There might be more asparagus if you search. when you cut them use a sharp knife and cut just below soil level. weed very carefully round because there might be shoots just below the soil.

    next time you are passing, call in, one of our favourite things is showing new gardeners what's possible with a bit of work and time. We used to have suffolk smallholders " growing for self sufficiency" sessions here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you ... exciting times ahead.

    I was just going to say exactly the same as sss above for your rhubarb, raspberries and leeks.

    Have fun, and the weather is just starting to be good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your allotment.. how exciting.. :o)

    Sue above Sue has answered all your questions. Have fun. it'll be hard work at times.. but oh so worth it :o)

    ReplyDelete