About Me

Sunday 13 April 2014

Weekend musings

Yesterday was spent preparing for the Cricket Club quiz preparing Chiil and cooking  potatoes  for about 50 people. The quiz went well and we made nearly £250 for the club which was good and much needed funds. It was quite a late night after tiding up so this morning was rather lazy after I put the brisket on to slow cook using Jamie Oliver's recepie and prepping the veg making the yorkshires. I spent most of the morning reading my book on the Kitchen Gardener by Alan Titchmarsh. 

This afternoon myself and Little Miss went to the allotment after we quickly popped to the garden centre to get a few seeds ready to plant. We headed to the allotment expecting lots of people to be out tending to theirs but it was empty. Though it wasn't quiet at the College was the country fair with loud music blaring out. I got to digging and turning the soil over while Little Miss cut the edges with a pair of scissors as the grass had got rather long. 

After Mr M and Little M came back from a bike ride they joined us which was a shock as Mr M has no time for gardening or growing but he worked by hard hoeing and breaking the big clumps of soil up. I also had a good tidy up cutting down lots of nettles and made a compost heap which I now need to cover over. 

I haven't planted anything out yet I did have plans to put some early potatoes in but just ran out of time we were there for 3 hours. But I now have two clear spaces  ready for planting. 


The pictures don't really show how big the plot is but it is getting there. I don't think my plot could be in a worse spot very close to the tap and with spectacular views whenever I look up. 


When we came home we planted some seeds which I have put out in our small plastic green house ready for planting out on the allotment. I know they should be indoors but my kitchen window sill isn't very big at all so I have put some fleece over to give extra protection at night and it is up against the wall of the house. 

So far we have planted Dwarf Beans, Broad Beans, Runner Beans, courgettes, Sweetcorn and Cherry Tomatoes though these are staying at home with the salad leaves in pots at home.

We won't go up tomorrow as we have a busy day but hoping to get cracking again on Tuesday. 

Just a question regarding the raspberry plants I have inherited do I cut these right back to the bottom as they have quite a lot of green leaves on and also some flower buds but also lots of tall brown dry stalks.  Sue at Frugal in Suffolk I'm sure this is one you can help me with.





1 comment:

  1. Just cut out the old tall old canes that have no leaves. The ones with leaves will have fruit this year and then you will cut them out in the late autumn as by then you should have new growth again

    ReplyDelete